Monday, April 23, 2007

I'm shaking my head

Last night was a rough night. To make a long story (4 hours and I guess 15 years in the making) short, a very good friend of mine told me last night that she and her husband were considering a divorce. What really blew my mind, though, is that she's having an affair. My heart aches. This is one of those things that I wasn't sure I would write about, but it's heavy on my heart.

I know that she's been unhappy for a long time, many years. And while I know she didn't go looking for it, she let it happen. There's a lot of rationalizing going on--how it came to this, why it's "okay." The problem is, I know it's not. I know that God's will does not include leaving your husband for another man. I think the hardest thing is that I've always known her to be black and white. There really has never been any gray. The Bible says what it says, and that's that. Her judgement is so clouded because she's been hurt badly and has developed thick callouses on her heart because her husband has been distant and cold, and downright mean for so long.

So, here I am, trying to support my friend, but knowing she's headed down the wrong path. I've tried hard to listen, to offer Biblical advice, but it's not been an easy 24 hours. Pray for this couple and their 4 children. Pray that I offer Godly counsel.

No comments: