Saturday, April 28, 2007

Countdown

Twenty-two days until my students go home for the summer. (The teachers have to stay one extra day.) I am truly amazed that when my mother-in-law retired from 38 years of teaching, she had her nose pressed against the glass of the school building when the next school year started, wishing she was in there with all the kids. While I know she had tough years, she really enjoyed what she did. So much so, that she really didn't stay retired. She took permanent substitute positions so she could go back and teach!

I have been teaching for 18 1/2 years. It seems like forever. I like the kids; I do, but I would have a whole lot more fun if I could just go and hang out with them--read a few books, talk about them, argue about some current events, then call it a day. I like to hear their perspective on things (usually either naive or conspiratorial, sometimes in the same breath). Some of them have an incredible sense of humor. But most of them at my school are down right lazy. Getting them to write a paper is like pulling teeth.

To come full circle, I have only 22 more school days to go. Then...off on our trip! I'm so excited!

No comments: